Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Style & Class of TF

FANNY SERRANO: AN INSPIRATION

As a make-up artist, people sometimes ask me whom I look up to in this business. I’m always apt to say Fanny Serrano. For those who know beauty, I think they would agree that Fanny is an obvious choice. I can say he is one of the best, if not THE best in the beauty industry of the Philippines.

Subok ko na yan si kapatid na Fanny or TF as his closest friends call him.

He has the highest standards when it comes to craftsmanship, professionalism and business ethics.

Sa galling nya, I would say he is the Kevyn Aucoin ng Pilipinas. You know Kevyn Aucoin—make-up artist to stars such as Elizabeth Taylor, Tina Turner, Audrey Hepburn, Whitney Houston, Isabella Rossellini, and about 18 of Vogue covergirls.

Like Kevyn, Fanny is also known for his celebrity clientele such as Lorna Tolentino and other Philippine movie queens. But you can really tell that he has talent by the way he makes over what many may consider “plain-looking” faces and turn them into smashing beauties.

As talented as he is, he is also very humble. And his best arsenal: his faith and spirituality. He is such a good Christian role model.

I remember many years ago when my father was dying, Fanny was the comforting voice who told me to let go because holding on was preventing my father from moving on peacefully.

Just with those words, I made peace with my father’s death. I’m grateful to Fanny for that. He has strong, insurmountable convictions.

A lot of excellent beauty experts have come and gone. But Fanny is still around because he’s been able to consistently provide value to the people through his talent and sincerity.

I met Fanny through a good friend of mine, Mary Ann Pimenta. Mary Ann brokered Fanny’s participation in my show, Reflections Awards, back in the 90s. It was a smash hit.

Anything that that Fanny touches turns gold. He has a good business sense and he’s been fortunate to have found people whom he has the same visions with.

Fanny recently teamed up with Mary Ann and Revlation International in the production of quality beauty cosmetics to further enhance the Pinay beauty.

Also recently, Fanny debuted his own clothing line, Fanny Serrano Couture. Kahit anong industriya ang pasukin nya, he has achieved success.

This is why I consider him a strong role model.

I am so excited that the very busy Fanny Serrano has cleared his schedule to come to L.A. and make an appearance at the1st L.A.-Philippine Wedding Expo on April 14-15 at the Pasadena Convention Center (Lower Level Hall).

I invite everyone to meet this living beauty legend! He is scheduled to conduct a special make-up demo on Saturday, April 14. It will be held at the Little Theatre.

For more information, please call me at 213.216.4923 or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com. Seating is limited for this demo so I encourage you to make a reservation.

Again, I invite everyone to come to the Wedding Expo on the weekend of April 14-15 at the Pasadena Convention Center. Doors open at 10am.

I wish everyone a very solemn Holy Week…

(Published April 7, 2007 Los Angeles Asian Journal)

The author is a professional beauty consultant and owner of the popular salon chain Monet & Reflections Salons. Monet is also the executive producer of the longest running Fil-Am awards gala, Reflections Awards (now on its 19th year). He is a known “queenmaker” or discoverer of young beauties who have gone on to achieve their dream of becoming beauty pageant titlists. For more on Monet, please visit www.monetsalon.com or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com.