Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Monet's HI! SOCIETY column debuts on Asian Journal

THE ADMIRABLE MILLIE GURFINKEL

I begin this column by thanking Asian Journal for the opportunity to connect with the Fil-Am community through this medium. I am very grateful for this chance to talk about my passions—beauty, style, fashion, events, and noteworthy players in our strong and ever-growing community.

“Hi! Society” is a column you should read if you want a refreshing breather from the heavy issues that affect us everyday. I vow to put the spotlight on people and things that inspire and events that make us realize how lucky we are to still experience them.

“Hi! Society” is a column you should read if you want a refreshing breather from the heavy issues that affect us everyday. I vow to put the spotlight on people and things that inspire and events that make us realize how lucky we are to still experience them.

To be featured in this column are the Fil-Am community’s leading men and women. Our community is becoming more and more mainstream partly because of them; because of the energy they put into their work and in helping out the community.

For this week, I put the spotlight on a remarkable woman who has been doing great things for the Filipino immigrant community in Southern California.

I’m referring to the woman behind the tremendous success of “lawyer to the stars” Atty Michael J Gurfinkel.

Millie Gurfinkel is one of the Fil-Am community’s Leading Ladies in my book.

She embodies poise, positive energy, intelligence, professionalism and compassion.

I’ve had the chance to work with her and have fun with her. In both circumstances, Millie always comes across as a passionate individual, in whatever she does.

I remember a time when she came to me for a project that was due immediately. Because it was so last minute, I have to admit I had doubts at first about how the project was going to turn out. But because it was Millie Gurfinkel steering the project and putting her all into it, the outcome was just perfect!

I must say this darling woman has a good knack for timing.

She does an excellent job inspiring others to implement her vision, in whatever project she undertakes, whether it’s producing shows, concerts or running the administrative aspect of their business (she is a business graduate of the Ateneo de Manila University). She coordinates everything to precision! As an event producer myself, I admire her artistry because I know for a fact it’s one of the toughest jobs to do.

Millie is also a giver. I know because I’ve been a witness to her generosity, especially in boosting morale among her staff, her friends and the Fil-Am community in general. For me, it only took a simple Christmas card which she sent me over the holidays. With that brief note, I really felt her friendship.

That gesture really resonated within me because I realized that is really how the Michael-Millie tandem has endured for over 20 years.

When you offer something valuable to the community, people can see and feel that. And I believe this is why they have been very successful as individuals and as a couple.

The Law Offices of Michael J Gurfinkel has been operating on the mission: “Bringing Families Together.” Since they started, Atty Gurfinkel and Millie have brought many families together, not just through the immigration law process but also through cultural projects such as trade shows, live concerts, and TV shows featuring Filipino entertainers. They even have an ongoing public service program that talks about pressing immigration issues called “Citizen Pinoy,” which is very informative and helpful to our Kababayans.

Millie and her husband are also long-time supporters and participants of Independence Day celebrations, catastrophe fundraising activities, and essay writing contests.

Hands down, Millie Gurfinkel really deserves the title “Leading Lady.”

(Published March 3, 2007)

*The author is a professional beauty consultant and owner of the popular salon chain Monet & Reflections Salons. Monet is also event producer to the longest running Fil-Am awards gala, Reflections Awards (now on its 19th year). He is a known “queenmaker” or discoverer of young beauties who have gone on to achieve their dream of becoming beauty pageant titlists. For more on Monet, please visit www.monetsalon.com or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com.