Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bringing Hope For The Children

PUBLISHED IN LOS ANGELES ASIAN JOURNAL
April 14, 2007


BANTAY BATA 163 AND HOW WE CAN HELP


I dedicate this piece to the children. Most especially to the children rescued by Bantay Bata (Child Watch), an organization I’m wholeheartedly supporting.

I am very grateful that I am in the position to offer my assistance to this group. Until last month (March), the concept of Bantay Bata (under ABS-CBN Foundation Inc.) was intangible to me. I was made aware of their plight based on the footage I’ve seen on TFC and the documentaries about the children living at the Bantay Bata Children’s Village.

But all these images only came to life to me when I actually set foot on the village compound during my recent trip to the Philippines.

When I decided to pledge proceeds of my annual awards show Reflections to Bantay Bata 163 since 2005, I like to think that I understood the mission and goals of the organization. But after my visit to the Children’s Village, I’ve concluded that no one can fully grasp the realities of this project and what it aims to do unless you go there and see for yourself.

The Children’s Village in Norzagaray, Bulacan is a transitional shelter for kids who have been uprooted from their homes because of exigent circumstances.

The whole experience of visiting with the kids living at the Children’s Village brought out mixed emotions.
I felt a deep sense of joy seeing them for the first time because on the outset, they do seem happy. Nung binisita namin ang housing ng mga bata, nakaka-touch talaga na makarinig ng,Kumusta po kayo sir?” na may kasamang ngiti sa kanilang mga labi.

I noticed that they are very affectionate children. They want to touch you. Natutuwa sila kapag may bisita. Walang masamang tao sa kanila. They welcome you with warmth.

Behind their smiles, I felt sadness. And that’s when sadness hit me as well. Because I realize why they are there. Each of them has their own story of hurt and abuse.

The Children’s Village is also home not only to abused, exploited and abandoned children but also for kids with congenital special needs.

The kids vary in age, from three months to 16 years. And they stay there for varied lengths of time, some longer than others.

While at the village, they undergo rehabilitation and most importantly, activities that children must experience, like learning/schooling, playing and praying.

The village also provides health care for the children. For some, it’s as simple as being treated for vitamin deficiency. Things that we normally take for granted because we have access to resources 24/7.

I couldn’t help but cry over what I saw there at the village. It was so cathartic that I had to write about it on this column. It was so deeply moving that I’m willing to forego my desire to acquire a new Louis Vuitton bag and just channel the money to the children.

I know most of us here in the U.S. are sometimes guilty of extravagant indulgences. Don’t get me wrong, we do deserve to pamper ourselves every now and then because we work so hard.

But as we enjoy our blessings, I hope we also think of the children.

To my kababayans, I invite you to join me and the Bantay Bata team better the lives of children whose chances of a normal and healthy childhood have been taken away from them.

I am extending this invitation to all of you on the occasion of the 10th Anniversary of Bantay Bata this 2007. Because we are celebrating this milestone, I urge donors and those thinking of becoming donors to please be extra generous.

Later this month, none other than the managing director of ABS-CBN Foundation Inc., Ms Gina Lopez, is heading here to Los Angeles to meet with philanthropists in celebration of the 10th anniversary.

ABS-CBN Foundation consultant Robbie Fabian is hosting a special gathering of donors in honor of Ms Gina Lopez on April 21st at the Marriott Downtown Los Angeles.

If you would like more information about this event, please email me at monet@monetsalon.com or give me a call at 213.216.4923.

For more about Bantay Bata, please visit www.abscbnfoundation.org to find out how you can help.

Have a great weekend everyone!