Monday, May 7, 2007

A Woman With A Mission

MS LYDIA F SORIANO

The adage “silent waters run deep” reminds me of one remarkable woman who prefers to remain out of the spotlight despite the great things she’s been doing for the Fil-Am community in Southern California.

I consider her one of my Leading Ladies in our beautiful community and her name is Lydia F. Soriano.

I met Lydia through a mutual friend during my Reflections Awards/Fashion Show a while back. My first impression was, this woman is every inch a Filipina – very proper, soft-spoken and gracious. When you dig deeper, you’ll find she’s also very accomplished. She’s been a long-standing Fil-Am community leader and member of different organizations such as the Kiwanis Club, Valley Vote in San Fernando Valley, Monarch Lions Club, PHILSELA, San Fernando Fil-Am Chamber of Commerce, the Kalayaan of Southern California Inc (KOSCI) and many other groups.

Currently, she is the President and Overall Chairperson of the major event that will commemorate the 109th Philippine Independence Day in the greater Los Angeles area dubbed as “Kalayaan 2007” being presented by KOSCI.

Kalayaan 2007 is a huge undertaking. As an event producer myself, I know that organizing even just one event takes a lot of time and effort. But the indefatigable Lydia Soriano, and her KOSCI team and supporters, are actually holding several main events happening simultaneously to celebrate the 109th Philippine Independence. The Kalayaan 2007 celebration entails the Gala Night, the Coronation & Awards, the Sportsfest, and the Expo and Carfest (For more info, please visit www.koscinc.com)

I asked Lydia to say a few words about this major endeavor that she has embarked upon. But the self-effacing Lydia rarely wants to talk about herself. Instead, she touted community effort as the force behind the success of Kalayaan.

On why she has taken on the job as overall chairperson of one of the biggest cultural celebrations in California, Lydia says it’s all for the spirit of unity. And this spirit, she says, is very much alive based on the overwhelming support that Kalayaan has been receiving from the community.

I probed Lydia on how she overcomes struggles. She stated that “communication and understanding” are important in surmounting challenges.

I also asked her what message she wants to impart to the Fil-Am community. So far, I think this is my favorite quote from her: “Give chance for change.” She suggests the observance of a 10-minute silence to reflect if any change is necessary, and then move on from there…

Lydia told me she doesn’t believe in obstacles. She prefers not to dwell on negativity and chooses to stay focused on moving forward.

On her motto in life, Lydia says it’s “be happy all the time.” Now who wouldn’t want to draw some inspiration from this admirable woman?

I know I have. And I hope that you have too.

To Lydia, I wish you mabuhay! in carrying out the mission and goals of Kalayaan. Kudos also to the entire KOSCI team, volunteers and supporters for this major undertaking.

I request everyone to please support Kalayaan 2007. The main events will be held at the Long Beach Convention Center on June 9-10. For more info, please call Lydia Soriano (562) 809-1995 or Noel Omega, (818) 605-4417. Or you may also email me at monet@monetsalon.com and I will gladly forward all your inquiries to KOSCI.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

*The author is a professional beauty consultant and owner of the popular salon chain Monet & Reflections Salons. Monet is also executive producer of the longest running Fil-Am awards gala, Reflections Awards (now on its 19th year). He is a known “queenmaker” or discoverer of young beauties who have gone on to achieve their dreams of becoming beauty pageant titlists. For more on Monet, please visit www.monetsalon.com or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com.