Monday, May 14, 2007

Remembering Nanay

A SALUTE TO ALL MOTHERS

It’s been four years since my beloved mother, Catalina Francisco Lu, passed away. In my heart, I always celebrate not only Mother’s Day but everyday to honor her memory.

I still feel the pain of loss when I remember how much her physical presence uplifted me. I don’t think the longing to spend even just one more day with her is ever going to go away. She was my pillar of strength and inspiration.

During times of uncertainty and turmoil, my mother was there to make sense of the situation. She would often compare me to a kalabasa (squash) because I would always work myself to the ground, so to speak. She’d say that while I toiled and crawled, the fruits got left behind. Gapang daw ako ng gapang, pero naiiwan naman ang bunga.

She would say that to me over and over again. Eventually, I got the message. To this day, I still live my life trying to heed her words. She really provided me a lifetime’s worth of advice.

My fondest memories of my mother were our alone times together. I used to take her to movies and concerts. She loved going to concerts so much. Her favorite was Ms Nora Aunor. As much as she loved Nora, I think she was also one of Nora’s most transparent critics.

She was wheelchair-bound in the latter years of her life but even then, she had the most dramatic way of showing people how she felt. In one of Nora’s concerts, she turned her wheelchair opposite the stage when she didn’t like the song or performance. Witnessing this was amusing but at the same time, I realized how much I resemble my mother in this aspect. Because I am the same way when I don’t particularly like a performance. I like spending my time wisely so I just walk out when I don’t like a show.

Another memory that stands out in my mind is how my mother performed the balancing act very well. She had 11 children but she managed to shower us with the same amount of love and attention. Each of the 11 children in the Lu household received equal treatment from Nanay.

It’s true what they say, that mothers know best. Iba talaga ang pagmamahal ng isang magulang, especially mothers. Their love is unconditional.

Mother’s Day is very special to me, even if my mother is not around anymore.

To those whose mothers are still with you, I urge you to take advantage. Tell your mother that you love her everyday. I did. That’s why I feel at peace that I didn’t have any unfinished business as far as my mother is concerned. I served her well down to the last second of her life on earth.

All of you whose Moms are still alive, constantly show them how much they mean to you.

To all the mothers, I salute you! You are the true heroes. You give so much of yourselves to your children that there’s hardly anything left for you.

To all the sons and daughters, even if Mother’s Day is over after this weekend, let’s cherish mothers every single day. They deserve it.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Nanays out there!!!