Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Congratulations to Mayor Marides and Senator Manny!

Good people still finish first! I’m delighted that two of my all-time favorite Philippine leaders won their reelection bid from the recent May 14 polls.

Congrulations to Marikina Mayor Marides Fernando and Senator Manuel Villar. No two people could have deserved this victory more.

I had the opportunity to visit with these two charismatic leaders during my recent homecoming to the Philippines this past February.

Mayor Marides -- I’ve been singing this lady’s praises ever since I witnessed for myself the remarkable things she has done and continues to do for my very own Marikina.

I grew up in Marikina and I do have a credible frame of reference from how it used be as compared to how it’s been since the Fernandos took over.

You can see and feel the difference when you enter the city limits of Marikina coming from another town. It’s won awards for its cleanliness and love for the environment.

From what was widely perceived as a dirty town, Marikina made the transformation to being the sophisticated metropolis that it is now.

The country's shoe capital owes this dramatic change in large part to the Fernandos--newly re-elected Marikina Mayor Marides and her husband Bayani before her.

I consider Marides to be one of the most effective women leaders of the country. She runs a pretty tight ship.

She has a determination that just brings out the best in everyone; in her staff, her constituents, her colleagues in public leadership, and not to mention her family.

Mayor Marides is the woman behind a very respected and successful man, MMDA chairman Bayani.

I’m happy to announce that Mayor Marides is heading to Los Angeles this coming August 4-5 to participate in the cultural heritage showcase during the US-Philippines Expo 2007 at the Fairplex, Pomona. She will represent all the Marikeños in featuring the history of the Philippine pride: Marikina-made shoes.

I’m very excited about this expo event being organized by the R-Page group (www.r-page.com). Stay tuned!

Senator Manny – I feel a familiar sense of kinship with this brilliant public servant. His is an inspiring story of success that started from the lowest ranks.

It reminds me of my very own struggles growing up. Senator Manny was born in Tondo to a family with simple means.

He spent long hours after school working at the wet market to sell fish and shrimp just so he can support his own education.

I remember a time in my life when I sold goods at the palengke when my own family was strapped for cash.

Senator Manny honed is entrepreneurial skills at an early age. His enterprising mind paved the way for bigger things in his life.

Meeting him personally a couple of months ago was a humbling experience. He is very accommodating and sincere.

Most of all, being in his presence reminded me just how important it is to never give up on your dreams. Because if you really reach for them, sky’s indeed the limit.

Again, I say congratulations to Mayor Marides and Senator Manny. They make me proud to be Filipino.

I hope the recent elections bore great leaders who truly love our country. Mabuhay and Pilipinas!

*The author is a professional beauty consultant and owner of the popular salon chain Monet & Reflections Salons. Monet is also executive producer of the longest running Fil-Am awards gala, Reflections Awards (now on its 19th year). He is a known “queenmaker” or discoverer of young beauties who have gone on to achieve their dreams of becoming beauty pageant titlists. For more on Monet, please visit www.monetsalon.com or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com.