Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Appreciating Opportunities & Cherished Friends

At times in our lives, we easily get caught up in the busy-ness of our careers, our chores, the things we feel we need to do to progress, which is very human nature. I must admit na merong mga panahon na I let the chaos get to me. I’m sometimes guilty of taking for granted that the million things on my “To Do” list are not so much “tasks” but are in fact blessings. Sometimes I forget that the more I have meetings, the more I have a tight schedule really means more opportunities to grow my business and myself as a person.

When I feel myself beginning to stress, I turn on my Joel Osteen recordings. His words put me back on track.

I also turn to my friends for guidance and comfort. Kapag may mga tanong ako about life and faith, I seek out a special person, my very good friend Ms Kuh Ledesma.

Kuh always has the answers for me. Hindi niya nakakalimutang ipaalala sa akin na ang Diyos ay may plano para sa akin, para sa ating lahat.

Her words uplift me and make me realize how lucky I am to be a part of this universe and to be given a purpose.

In her 25-year career as a prolific musical artist, Kuh has had an image of being a “diva”, “ice queen” and other labels but the Kuh that I sit down with in our long conversations about faith is nothing like her image in showbiz.

To me, she’s a woman who lives to serve the Lord, and she’s not ashamed to admit this. She’s a warrior. In her concerts, she dedicates songs to the Almighty to honor Him.

Years ago, it was my good friend Rio Diaz Cojuangco who encouraged me to renew my faith. Unfortunately, I lost Rio to cancer. But in her place, I feel like in some way God sent me another sister in faith through the person of Kuh.

To you Kuh, may God continue to bless you and your family. I salute you!

Another remarkable woman in my life that I turn to for comfort is my long-time friend, Mila Dela Cruz. I call her Ate Mila but really, she’s been like a second mother to me.

We first met many years ago when she applied for a job as cosmetologist in my salon. And we have been together ever since. Masipag, matiyaga, maaalalahanin, tapat—iyan si Ate Mila.

Kasama ko siya nung unang naging successful ang negosyo ko in the 90s through my first salon on Beverly Blvd., hanggang sa mag-open ako ng ibang branches.

During rough times, especially when my business and personal life collapsed, kasama ko pa rin si Ate Mila.

Dito ko talaga napatunayan ang kanyang katapatan bilang kaibigan. Walang iwanan, sabi nga nila.

Marami na kaming pinagdaanan together. We might disagree sometimes but we know that our friendship is solid.

Ate Mila, I want to thank you for being there for me not just as a valuable employee but as a trusted friend.

Maraming salamat!

I consider myself very lucky to be surrounded by friends who constantly inspire me to be a better person. With all the stresses of life, we get by with a little help from our friends. Let’s not forget to be thankful and to always count our blessings.

Amid all the challenges, keep breathing, keep living, keep loving, enjoy life and praise God!

**

Special thanks to the email-senders who have been submitting feedback on my weekly column here on Asian Journal. One of the letters I received was from Christina H. of Riverside. She asked how I find time to do everything from running my different businesses, on top of another Monet Salon branch opening in Las Vegas. I picked Christina’s letter to share with all of you because it’s related to my column topic for this weekend. To answer your question Christina, it’s really a matter of time management and staying focused on the bigger picture. I do what I can and leave the rest to the Lord. Thank you for your letter and please continue to read Hi! Society.