Monday, June 11, 2007

Mabuhay Ka, Governor Vilma Santos!

After an exhaustive campaign and high-stress elections, it’s official: Ate Vi is now Governor of her beloved Batangas.

The Star for All Seasons has captured the hearts of her constituents because of her spotless track record. Kitang kita ko naman with my own two eyes when I came to visit her last 2005 as she diligently performed her role as Mayor of Lipa.

Ate Vi is a devoted public servant who doesn’t leave anything to chance. She works on what needs to be worked on.

I’m so proud of her like she was my own ka-pamilya, as I’m sure all Vilmanians are.

As mayor of Lipa, she has paved the way for much progress in this city.

During her term, Lipa landed the number 13 spot of top cities in the whole Philippines. This ranking was based on infrastructure, cost of doing business, quality of human resources, responsiveness and overall quality of life.

Her leadership has also won for Lipa awards and honorable citations in the areas of education, health, peace, and order management, among others.

Ate Vi was even named outstanding mayor two times in 2000 and once in 2002.

Now add these recognitions to her acting awards and blockbuster films and you have a woman who’s truly come full circle.

When I visited her at her office two years ago, I got a glimpse of what a typical day is for such a busy and important woman.

I was one of those waiting for her arrival because as a high official, she has all these appointments to go through and of course, her office has to prioritize which ones are urgent and official business.

So wait lang ako while she met with her city councilors who were pushing for certain projects. She also met with her elderly constituents and other dignitaries.

My turn to see her continued to be pushed back because of some urgent matters that needed her attention pero I didn’t mind because I knew she has to make decisions that affect an entire city.

The purpose of my visit was to invite her to come to L.A. to be a distinguished honoree in my annual Reflections Awards. There’s been a long-standing clamor from members of the Fil-Am community and Vilmanians to honor The Star for All Seasons. I thought it was the best idea to see her and extend this invitation in person.

We had a camera crew with us at that time and she even said on the record that she was accepting my invitation.

I was so happy! But of course, things came up unexpectedly in the next few months that changed her schedule and she couldn’t make it to the Reflections Awards.

Pero Ms. Governor, please know that I’m not giving up!!! Hopefully someday, the stars will align and you will make it to LA to receive this special recognition that my fellow Vilmanians and I feel only you deserve.

Mabuhay ka, Governor Vilma Santos! More power!


**The author is a professional beauty consultant and owner of the popular salon chain Monet & Reflections Salons. Monet is also executive producer of the longest running Fil-Am awards gala, Reflections Awards (now on its 19th year). He is a known “queenmaker” or discoverer of young beauties who have gone on to achieve their dreams of becoming beauty pageant titlists. For more on Monet, please visit www.monetsalon.com or send an email to monet@monetsalon.com.